Sunday, November 28, 2010

Issues while creating poker app

When creating the screen for working out the percentage of a players cards the main issue I have come across is how a user will select a card. I have designed and studied the following options for the user to pick a card.


Option 1 - Drag & Drop
I would position all the cards at the bottom of the screen all visible for the user. The user would select one card drag it up to where he wants to place it. The card would "collide" with the place the user wants to place it. I would have a loop constantly checking for "collisions". The main disadvantage I came across is the fact all the cards would be grouped closely together not looking very attractive for the interface.

Option 2 - Keyboard for inputting cards
The user would select an area they want to place a card and a keyboard would appear from bottom of the screen allowing a user to input the card they wish. The main disadvantage is I would have to jail break the iphone interface to manipulate the keyboard and that wouldn't be regarded as a good programming or design.


Option 3 - Select a card from different screen
The user would select a card they want to input for example "Hole Card 1" they would be taken to a separate screen with all the cards on the screen they select one that is now "Hole Card 1". The screen is very clustered from my tests once again. 


Option 4 - Double Pecker
The user would select a card they want to input for example "Hole Card 1" a double Pecker would appear from bottom of the screen allowing a user to select a card their selection would now be "Hole Card 1". From my research this is a nice neat solution without breaking good coding practice and I will have to prototype before implementation like I did with the other options but this seems to be the way I will tackle the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment